Chemistry Fun Animal Facts :
- Hot chilli peppers create a burning sensation due to a chemical molecule called capsaicin. While the molecule is an irritant to mammals including us humans, birds lack the receptor responsible for this effect so are immune to this burning sensation.
- Goldfish can see visible light like us humans, but they can also perceive infrared and ultraviolet light.
- Macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs.
Chemistry Questions you can test on your friends:
- What are the only two chemistry elements that are liquid at room temperature?
Bromine and Mercury. Although gallium will melt from the heat of your hand.
- If you pour a handful of salt into a glass full of water, will the glass overflow?
Surprisingly, no! The water level will actually go down! There will be roughly a 2.5 per cent reduction in volume.
- Roughly how much salt (NaCl) is in the average adult human body?
- What do diamonds and lead pencils have in common?
Lead pencil’s contain graphite which is a form of pure carbon like diamond.
- What is the only letter that doesn’t appear on the periodic table?
- What is the most abundant element in the universe?
- Are there more atoms in a bucket full of water or are there more bucketfuls of water in the Atlantic Ocean?
There are more atoms in a bucket full of water.
- How much of the oxygen in the atmosphere is produced by the Amazon rainforest?
- What is the chemical formula for dry ice?
Dry ice is actually solid carbon dioxide, so CO2.
- What is the rarest naturally occurring element in the Earth’s crust?
Astatine, the entire Earth’s crust appears to only contain 28g of it.
- What colour is liquid oxygen?
- Will a stale egg float or sink in fresh water?
A stale egg will float
- What is the acid in milk called?
- Dilute acetic acid is found in almost every household kitchen. What is another name for it?
- How much does water expand by when freezing into ice?
Water expands about 9% when it frozen into ice
by our tutor – Alex.